1) a) It is a slow reaction kinetically.
2) a) It is a catalyst.
3) c) It lowered the activation energy of the reaction.
1) The reaction between carbon tetrachloride, CCl₄, and water, H₂O, to form carbon dioxide, CO₂, and hydrogen chloride, HCl, has a ΔG° value of -232 kJ/mole, and so is thermodynamically favored. But when you mix carbon tetrachloride with water, no change is observed. What is a possible explanation for this?
a) It is a slow reaction kinetically. TRUE. This is the most likely explanation of why no change is observed.
b) The activation energy of the reaction is too small. FALSE. Slow reactions have a large activation energy.
c) The reaction is not spontaneous. FALSE. ΔG° < 0 so the reaction is spontaneous.
d)The reaction is not favored thermodynamically. FALSE. ΔG° < 0 so the reaction is favored thermodynamically.
2) What word best describes the role that the palladium plays in the reaction between propene and hydrogen above?
It is a catalyst because it increases the rate of the reaction without being altered by the end of the reaction.
3) What did the palladium do to increase the rate of the reaction between the propene and hydrogen?
a)It changed the thermodynamic equilibrium. FALSE. Catalysts don't affect equilibrium
b)It made the Gibbs free energy of the reaction more positive. FALSE. Catalysts don't affect Gibbs free energy.
c)It lowered the activation energy of the reaction. TRUE. According to the Arrhenius equation, the lower the activation energy, the higher the rate constant, and the higher the rate of reaction. This is how catalysts act.
d)It increased the activation energy of the reaction. FALSE.
The word that gives the best description to the role of the therapist in the humanistic approach to psychotherapy is Non-directive. The humanistic approach to psychotherapy aims to help the client develop a stronger, healthier sense of self in order to gain a sense of meaning in life.